Oregon Among States Least Affected by Trade War With Mexico
Thursday, February 09, 2017
According to a study bone by WalletHub, Oregon ranks as the 45th most affected state in the US.
“The border between the U.S. and Mexico may soon expand into a 40-foot-high, 1,000-mile-long concrete barrier separating us from them.
If and when the president’s plan comes to fruition, experts predict it will trigger a trade war between our two nations.
But the impact of the economic fallout will be different for every state,” said WalletHub.
Oregon is ranked 45th behind New York and Idaho who rank 43rd and 44th respectively. Oregon is ranked ahead of Washington and Montana who rank 46th and 47th respectively.
Texas is ranked as the state that will be most affected by a trade war, while Georgia is ranked as the state that will be least affected.
See the full rankings in the map below.
To determine which states will be most and least affected by a trade war with Mexico, WalletHub’s analysts compared the 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia across five key metrics. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the least favorable outcome for a state.
They then calculated the overall score for each state and the District based on its weighted average across all metrics and used the resulting scores to construct our final ranking.
- Exports to Mexico as a Share of Total State Exports: Full Weight (~20 Points)
- Exports to Mexico as a Share of State GDP: Full Weight (~20 Points)
- Imports from Mexico as a Share of Total State Imports: Full Weight (~20 Points)
- Imports from Mexico as a Share of State GDP: Full Weight (~20 Points)
- Share of Jobs Supported by Trade with Mexico: Full Weight (~20 Points)
- Oregon Ranks Near the Bottom for Women’s Equality Issues
- Oregon Ranks in Top 5 for Highest Gas Prices
- Oregon Ranks in the Top 10 States With the Richest People
- Oregon Ranks No. 2 For ‘Tax Fairness’
- Oregon Ranks Poorly for Doctors
- Why Oregon Ranks 36th for School Funding
- The Drunkest States in America: See Where Oregon Ranks
- See How Oregon Ranks for Charitable Giving
- Oregon Ranks Among Best in U.S for Teen Drivers
- Oregon Ranks 44th in U.S. for Online College Students
- Oregon Ranks 3rd Worst in Country for Military Retirees
- Oregon Ranks 15th in the Nation for Raising Black Children
- Oregon Ranks Among Best Economies in US
- Oregon Ranks Among Best for Entrepreneurs
- NEW: Oregon Ranks as 4th Most Charitable State in Country