FBI Releases Statement on Shooting in Parkland, Florida
Friday, February 16, 2018
The shooting saw 17 people killed and dozens of others injured when former student, Nikolas Cruz, walked into the school and opened fire. Cruz was arrested about an hour later, according to news reports.
The FBI released the following statement:
On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.
Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami Field Office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.
We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami Field Office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time.
FBI Director Christopher Wray said:
“We are still investigating the facts. I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public. It’s up to all Americans to be vigilant, and when members of the public contact us with concerns, we must act properly and quickly.
“We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy. All of the men and women of the FBI are dedicated to keeping the American people safe, and are relentlessly committed to improving all that we do and how we do it.”
- Oregon’s Most Violent Cities and Towns: New FBI Crime Data
- Oregon State Police Employee Stole Substances From 2 Crime Labs
- Mum’s the Word: 3 Ways to End Mom on Mom Crime
- Man Arrested for Rape & Other Sex Crimes Involving 13-Year-Old Girl
- Police: Man Arrested at PSU For Sex Crime After Breaking into Woman’s Hotel Room
- Portland Crime Problems: Data Helps Fight the Dangerous Trends
- Terry Bean, Arrested for Sex Crimes, is One of America’s Top Democratic Fundraisers
- Scott Bruun: Hate Crimes and the Big Red O
- Portland Police Investigating Lewis and Clark Assault As A Hate Crime
- Looking at Hate Crimes Across the United States
- Former Police Officer, Convicted of Sex Crimes, Sues Christian Rehab Organization
- Burglar Arrested for Sex Crime and Two Break-Ins
- A Breakdown of Hate Crimes in the United States
- 10 Oregon Towns with the Most Hate Crimes in 2013
- 10 Oregon Colleges With The Most Reported Crime
- Crime Trends in Portland - Good News and Bad News
- FBI Releases Oregon Hate Crime Data for 2014
- Former Oregon Anti-Gay Activist Loses “Crimes Against Humanity” Appeal