Oregon Ranked Among Least Patriotic States in U.S.
Wednesday, June 28, 2017
According to a recent study completed by WalletHub, Oregon is ranked 39th out of 50 states when it comes to patriotism.
“Expressions of American patriotism come in many forms — from setting off fireworks during Fourth of July and buying American-made goods to paying taxes and serving in the armed forces. But some states are better than others at showing their national pride,” said WalletHub.
- 32nd best - Military engagement
- 41st Best - Civic engagement
Oregon is ranked behind West Virginia and Tennessee, who rank 37th and 38th respectively.
Oregon is ranked ahead of Indiana and Delaware, who rank 40th and 41st respectively.
Virginia is ranked as the most patriotic state in the country, while New Jersey is ranked as the least.
See the full rankings in the map below:
To determine the most patriotic states, WalletHub’s analysts compared the 50 states across two key dimensions, including “Military Engagement” and “Civic Engagement.”
They evaluated those dimensions using 13 relevant metrics. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the highest level of patriotism.
Finally, WalletHub determined each city’s weighted average across all metrics to calculate its total score, which we then used to rank-order all the cities in our sample.
Military Engagement – Total Points: 50
- Average Number of Military Enlistees per 1,000 Civilian Adults Population Between 2010 & 2015 (No Prior Service): Triple Weight (~25.00 Points)
- Veterans per 1,000 Civilian Adult Population: Full Weight (~8.33 Points)
- Active-Duty Military Personnel per 100,000 Civilian Adult Population: Full Weight (~8.33 Points)
- Share of Civilian Adult Population in Military Reserves: Full Weight (~8.33 Points)
Civic Engagement – Total Points: 50
- Share of Adults Who Voted in 2016 Presidential Election: Double Weight (~10.26 Points)
- Share of Adults Who Voted in 2016 Primary Elections: Full Weight (~5.13 Points)
- Volunteer Rate: Full Weight (~5.13 Points)
- Volunteer Hours per Resident: Full Weight (~5.13 Points)
- AmeriCorps Volunteers per Capita: Full Weight (~5.13 Points)
- Peace Corps Volunteers per Capita: Half Weight (~2.56 Points)
- Trial- & Grand-Jury Participation per Civilian Adult Population: Full Weight (~5.13 Points)
- Frequency of Google Searches for American Flags: Quarter Weight (~1.28 Points)
- Civics Education Requirement: Full Weight (~5.13 Points)
- Oregon Ranked Among Best States for Working Moms in U.S.
- Oregon Ranked 9th Least Fat State in the U.S.
- Oregon Ranked 5th in Nation on Breastfeeding Report Card
- Oregon Ranked Among Top States for Teen Drivers
- Oregon Ranked Among Worst States in U.S. for Doctors
- Oregon Ranked as 33rd Safest State in the US
- Oregon Ranked as 2nd Most Eco-Friendly State in Country
- Oregon Ranked 4th Worst State for Teachers in the U.S.
- Oregon Ranked 3rd Worst State in the Union For Doctors
- Oregon Ranked 13th Best in the U.S. for Women’s Equality
- Oregon Ranked #4, Portland Ranked #8 For Energy Efficiency
- Oregon Ranked 15th Most Patriotic State in the Union
- Oregon Ranked 31st in U.S. for Health Care
- Oregon Ranked 30th in U.S. for Dependency on Gun Industry
- Oregon Ranked #1 in Country for Road Trips