Light the Trail Bike Riders to Make Stop in Portland to Talk Suicide Awareness
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
The journey is aimed at sparking a nation-wide conversation about suicide, depression and mental health.
The riders will pass through Portland on September 4 and September 5.
The journey will take cyclists all the way from Oregon to Washington, D.C. on the Lewis and Clark Trail.
When riders get to Portland, they look to engage with the community to talk about suicide awareness and prevention.
The Light the Trail riders will encourage those they meet in the Portland area to share their experiences facing depression or suicide, sharing their compelling stories through a Humans of New York-esque photo series that will be published on social media
Light the Trail
Light the Trail is an initiative of the Jordan Elizabeth Harris Foundation, a non-profit that seeks to eradicate suicide by funding depression research, creating awareness through education, erasing the stigma, and providing hope to those who are struggling in silence.
Related Slideshow: 17 Ways to Experience Portland on Bike
Check out these 17 businesses for bike rentals and tours, that allow you to enjoy the Portland bike scene without owning a bike:
- Portland One of Nation’s Safest For Bikes
- Portland Mountain Bikers: Ride and Party at Trailfest 2014
- Portland Mountain Bikers Launch Petition for More Trails
- Portland One of the Best Bike-Friendly U.S. Vacation Destinations
- Portland Police to Allow Public Nudity at World Naked Bike Ride
- Portland’s Hand Made Bike Builders: #1 in the US
- Portland Ranked #1 Most Bike-Friendly City in U.S.
- Portland Mountain Bikers Fight Back on Trail Ban
- Portland Filmed By Bike Festival Opens This Weekend
- On Your Bike: How To Choose The Right Ride Part 2
- On Your Bike: How To Choose The Right Ride
- Off Your Bike: Four Helpful Stretches for the Bike Commuter
- Outrage Flares Around Milwaukie Candidate’s Facebook Post of Horrible Bike Accident
- PBOT Urges Timbers Fans to Bike, Walk, or Take TriMet to March 7 Game
- Point West Credit Union Offers Low-Cost Loans for Bikers
- PeopleforBikes Unites 1 Million Members for Better, Safer Cycling in USA
- Portland’s Project 529 Partners with ABUS Security to Stop Bike Thefts
- Portland’s Wine Bike Piqniq Hosts Event at The Fields Park
- VIDEO: World Naked Bike Ride Tonight
- Tour de Lab Bike Marathon Ignites Local Dog Lovers and Puns
- Tour de Brew: Pub Crawl for a Cause, By Bike
- Who’s Hot and Who’s Not: Bike Ranking Down, Measure 91 Fundraising Up
- Why Bike Injuries are on the Rise for Older Riders
- World Naked Bike Ride Returns To Portland
- Winter Wonderland “Bike the Lights” Ride, Tonight at PIR
- The Views from a New Oregonian: Portland’s World Naked Bike Ride
- Ten Ways to Fight Bike Theft
- Portland’s Bike Plan Makes Biking Safer in the City